Sunday, February 07, 2010

Sapphic Fragment 3

always, I yearn to give
wings to words, yet of the glorious
resounding cries, of the beautiful and good, you
force me into a shamed silence of pain, stifling me
with fear, blame, regret[?]
for your swollen
[fingers?] as I let you take your fill. for though my thinking
arose all self-condemning, it was not thus
as you accused; nothing is arranged
erratically, nor erotically, though
all night long, l[a]ying anxious, I am aware
of your allegations of evildoing;
but I, in my desire-choked silence, my willful blindness,
lay blame on other souls, all those deluded minds,
those cursed, those blessed ones,
all around whom you spread your downy wings,
all whom you loved,
all whom you destroyed
unknowingly?
I reject that you'd willingly break us,
and yet
the truth lies naked.
have you no temperance, no shame?

--

Creative reconstruction; bold words are the original fragment.

No comments: